Check Retail Secrets for the Best Shopping Tips, Promotion Codes, Discounts and Online Coupons
Follow Retail Secrets on Twitter Click Here

Click here for more Retail Secrets Discounts and Coupons!
Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz
Check your spam/junk mail for confirmation to receive the newsletter.

Click here for Retail Secrets' Very Special Wish List

July's Birthstone -Ruby

Monday

Calling Customer Retention with Problems Leads to Refunds



Find Today's Daily Deal on Your City's Best Things To Do at Groupon.com!

Have you ever had a problem with your cellphone? When you called to complain was the customer service representative you spoke with less than helpful? If you answered yes to either question, this Retail Secrets for Savvy Consumers tip is for you.

On December 26, 2007, I noticed my blackberry cellphone was no longer receiving emails. The emails from my home email service are configured for my Blackberry. Although I could check email at home, nothing was coming through on my Blackberry. This lasted for about one week.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLCOn January 4, my emails miraculously started coming in, but nothing from the week before. I knew the issue had to be a service interruption. Today I called my cellphone provider, but I didn't ask to speak with regular customer service. My trick to get the best service possible is to speak to the customer retention department. Those folks are there to retain customers so they will always go the extra mile to keep you happy.

When I call my provider, the automated systems asks "how can we help you today?" My response is "cancel service." The system repeats it and puts me through "right away" as it says. Don't worry, if you call and say to the automated system that you want to cancel your service - it will not cancel you immediately. It will switch you to a HUMAN in customer retention. This is a very important department to cellphone services, they are there to deflect your decision to go to another provider.

CheapCaribbean.comWhen you get through to retention, you will almost always find the jolliest person on the other end. Again, they want to keep you as a customer. Today, I spoke with a gentlemen and told him my issue with my Blackberry. He told me to hold while he checked to see if there were any reported outages in the area. But while he put me on hold he was reviewing my account. I have been with my provider through three mergers since 1997.

TrueJeans Half-Yearly Sale! 33%-60% off select styles!The chap came back on and said since I had been a customer with them for so long they would meet me half way. He gave me a $10 credit (for one week of failed service)which is half of what I pay for my Blackberry service. I was stunned. I expected a couple of bucks off - a prorated amount. Never did I expect to receive half off of my fee. But with the cellphone providers high competition, they must do all they can to keep customers happy.

Calling retention departments is one of my tried and true savvy consumer tips. I have always been satisified with retention department customer service. Had I called the regular customer service department, I am sure I would not have been offered any credit.

Remember this tip the next time you have a problem with your cellphone provider.

Yahoo! Music Unlimited






No comments: